Monday, July 14, 2008

Listy Release Blog - July 2008 (Drag & Drop and much more!)

This is the first of many blog posts Listy users will come across. We will be using this 'Listy Blog' to communicate enhancements and new functionality to our users. Although we have a healthy number of users who provide feedback and suggestions to make Listy a gadget of choice, we wanted to reach out to ALL our users through this blog so they can give us their input and stay informed on Listy updates. Our aim is to be the very best gadget and to make this an organized world!

So lets get started. What has been keeping us busy lately? A laundry list of things! As our earlier users will recall, some of the initial feedback we received was that it was 'too easy to delete a tab'. We updated Listy, so now Listy asks for deletion confirmation when a user tries to delete a tab.











Our popularity is growing, thanks to our satisfied users! We take pride in being responsive and doing our best to entertain as many user requests as possible. Yet, at the sametime we need to be cognizant of the fact that one user's preference or request may not necessarily represent our complete user community. Our user base has grown from purely in the U.S to Canada, countries in the European Union, and Asia. We are trying our best to add more cell phone carriers for SMS functionality in different geographical regions. Some of the latest cell phone companies we have added are Canadian cell phone giants such as Fido, Rogers, Telus, Virgin etc. We are having some SMS issues with european cell phone providers, and we are testing them individually. In fact, we are looking for volunteers from the UK and other European Union countries to help us test the SMS functionality! Please write to us at support@mylisty.net if you are available to help us.

Some other major updates include the revamping of 'screen real estate'. We removed padding, numbering of tabs, and tweaked font sizes to provide more space to our users to enter their tasks. Also, we have changed the priority dots into priority blocks for ease in clickability. Here is the before and after comparison!

Before removing padding, tab numbering and updating font sizes:











After removing padding, tab numbering and updating font sizes:







Other enhancements you can expect in the month of July include the following:

1) Drag & Drop Functionality: We have implemented the drag & drop functionality in Listy. This functionality enables users to drag tasks from one list/tab and drop them into another list/tab. It will also let them re-order the sequence of tasks within a list by simply dragging the task up or down with in a tab. Also, you will be able to change the sorting of tabs with this enhancement.

Drag:













Drop:












2) Color Scheme of Priority Levels: Yes, we agree with you that our choice of colors for priority levels wasn't exactly a work of art! We have upgraded the Settings section of Listy where our users decide on the colors they wish to select for each priority level, which simply (read drastically) improves the colors of each priority level.















3) Project X: We are working hard to make Listy platform independant. This is a secret project (if the earlier statement has not given it away already!), and we believe our users will be pleasantly surprised when we go-live with Project X. Please stay tuned for more on this.
In the end, we would like to thank our users, every single enhancement you see above was the result of a suggestion from a caring user, without them we would be clueless. We always need more suggestions and more feedback!
Stay Organized!

25 comments:

zeaky65 said...

Great new features. I was wondering if you can add a check image instead of the line which really means minimize. the check is self explanatory - the task is done. Also I have a hard time scrolling over the hit-are of the line because it is too small/thin

zeaky65 said...

In my previous post I was more whining than appreciating. Your gadget is great, which is why I use it obviously. The best I say, next to 'To-Do List+' which allows a due date. You really worked hard and we all should appreciate it. THANKS.

Loriborealis said...

Is there anyway to create a "save to drive" feature?

I use my seven different versions of mylisty to organize my home life and business, and one of my staff accidentally deleted my modules when she thought she was just minimizing.

I'd love a "save button"

Also, can I name each list? So that in each "My Listy" title bar I can actually rename the list as I want?

I love the lists...keep up the good work...

OldGreyBeast said...

Alright color settings for priorities! Thanks a lot for listening!

ricardo said...

Thanks for improvement on the priorities colors. Is anyway to choose the color of the priority of an item at the same time that we write the new item, before we click add.
Sorry, I'm lazy and I'll like to avoid one step.
Thank you again.
Ricardo.

ricardo said...

One more suggestion, will be good to have a link to your blog.

mamapt said...

This is the greatest gadget I have ever seen. I like being able to send to SMS and to text mylisty to get it to SMS a list to me. I like all the new changes. Is there a way to undo the strike through line I accidently clicked on the strike through line on a task that is high priority. The only way I could work out to fix it was to add the item again and then delete the old one.

Paul Jones said...

This is the most useful gadget I've seen! Since the new release though the new priority block colors don't show in IE6. They do show up OK in IE7, Firefox, Safari and Opera.

Listy Blog said...

Santana: Thanks for the suggestion. We will incorporate that soon.

Loriborealis: We are working to automate the process for recovering accidentally deleted MyListy gadgets. However, as of now, we recommend our users to put their name and pass in the settings. If they accidentally delete the gadget and write us back at support@mylisty.net, we can help them retrieve the data.
You can rename the lists by clicking on the name of the "Selected" List.

Ricardo: We will have to circle back with our UI designer for that.

Barbara: When you hit the strike button, you can un-strike the line by hitting the same button again.

pnJones: Thanks for pointing this out. We will fix this soon.

We really appreciate all the feedback from our users and their support. Thanks! Listy Team

Anonymous said...

My Listy is probably the best ToDo manager on Google, and it's great to see it becoming even better. My only comment has to do with the name. My Listy sound sorta goofy or playful, when the gadget is anything but a toy. I almost didn't even try it because of its name, but I'm certainly glad I did. While it's still young, you might consider a more professional name, which will help your marketing efforts immensely.

Anonymous said...

I love my Listy and use it to organize myself all over the place - home, work, projects, etc. Something I'd love to see is the ability to have a couple of words show up on Listy for an item but be able to click for a more detailed description. Sort of like a title/details relationship for a task. If that's possible I'd love to see it but even if it's not this is a great little gadget!!!

Unknown said...

It would be nice if there was a way to make tasks reoccurring. It would help me if there was a way to identify things as “in progress” as well as a due date function. I love myListy. It has already helped me increase my productivity!!

Unknown said...

Would it be possible to make it so that listy tasks appear in the google calendar? I know some to do list applications have this feature.

Vlad said...

This is a fantastic feature! I have a request: can you please figure out a way to sort or view by Priority, so that I can see what are all my High/Med/Low priorities in one view?

Many thanks!

Torrey, half of the MC said...

This is awesome! I did notice if the list was over the character limit for sms, it cuts it short. Would there be a way for it to automatically send as many sms messages as it takes to send the entire list?

Listy Blog said...

Larry McJunkin: Thanks for the kind words of praise! Regarding the name, we already spent a bunch of money on getting 'Listy' logos, it will be a real bummer to get a new logo made with a new name! :) Also, names like google, twitter, jott etc. didnt make much sense either, but they are doing well so we decided to go with Listy! :) Suggestions are always welcome for a better name!
Hypermommy: Thanks for the encouraging comments. We have included your request for adding details to each task on our list.
Nicole: Your suggestion makes sense. We will release the functionality of entering dates, and recurring tasks after we go live with Project X. Thank you!
lee: We have been considering this feature for a while. You are the first one to bring it up, we will continue to monitor user requests, and if more interest exists in implementing this functionality we will gladly do so in late summer. Keep the suggestions coming. Thank you!
Vlad Soriano Thanks for your suggestion. Once Project X is released in late August, we will have the ability to add 'views' to Listy. We will implement this functionality after going live with Project X.
Torrey, half of the MC: Thats an interesting observation. Can you send us an email to support@mylisty.net with details on your user name, and cell phone company? We would like to debug this further.
Listy Support Team

Carroll said...

I am sorry but this component does not work. It will not add new items regardless of platform. I am not sure how others have made it work but for me it fails.

Listy Blog said...

cealtman1: We would love to help you with this gadget. Please add your name and pin in the gadget's Settings and write us at support@mylisty.net with the settings as well as browsers information (name and version). So we can debug this at our end. Thanks. Listy Support Team!

mamapt said...

Is there a way that I could text an item to a list on MyListy from SMS? I think of things on the fly and wish I could add them when I am away from my desk.

Listy Blog said...

Barbara Listy currently does not support this functionality. We have added it to our list of future functionality enhancements. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tim Carriker said...

've tested and used over a dozem task list widgets and this is the best. Thanks. One question about SMS. I am in Brazil and use TIM as a provider. Do I add international dialing from the U.S. (001), and the country code (55)in front of my area code and phone number? like this: 00155-XX-XXXX-XXXX

☠cryp7☠ said...

I love My Listy! I was pleasantly suprised to see my cell carrier is now included, and will be trying this feature today.

I have been using My Listy to keep track of "To Do" lists for household, work, and leisure with my bf to help us stay organized.

Thank you My Listy! :)

Listy Blog said...

Tim Carriker: Thanks Tim. You can try 55-xx-xxxx-xxxx. The only caveat is, we added TIM as a European cell phone carrier, so it may or may not work for you. We would certainly like to hear about your experience with SMS, please email us at support@mylisty.net. Thank you!

cryp705p0r1d1um: Thanks for the encouraging comments! We would like to hear about your experience with SMS. Please email us at support@mylisty.net.

OldGreyBeast said...

Is there a way that you could add an undo function? I just clicked one too many times on the X button and it deleted whatever task I had under it as well. I don't know what it was, but it was of medium importance.

Unknown said...

I only started using your tool this week but it works great! As mentioned in other comments, it would be usefull to have a due date and be able to sort on the date. In combination with that I would also like to be able to add recurring tasks. I don't think I will be using the SMS feature a lot but a sync with the Outlook task list would be good. Keep up the good work!